Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bird Mobile!

My sweet, sweet future niece's/nephew's mother, Nicole, has amazing taste... I love stalking her "favorites" on etsy.  And when I heard her theme for the gender neutral nursery of trees and birds, I appreciated her style even more! I, myself, am obsessed with birds (especially owls).  She liked a mobile on etsy that was constructed of branches and handmade birds, but it was way, WAY, too, much for me to afford! I did some googling and found a bird pattern on spool's blog and decided to take a stab at making it myself!  I picked out a variety of fabrics in blues, greens, purples, oranges, and tans and made five of the little guys.  That part was time consuming, but relatively easy.  So was wrapping the branches I found in my backyard with three different tan and brown yarns and threads.  The most frustrating part, however, was putting tiny screws into the branches and suspending them with fish line and finding a way for them to remain (somewhat) balanced.  Since branches are not perfectly level in nature, mine are not either (at least that's what I am telling myself).  For a final touch, I sewed on fabric leaves with little bells behind them to add a little "music" when the mobile spins!  It is a beautiful effect and I hope the baby enjoys watching the birdies =)

No comments:

Post a Comment